Tuesday 11 September 2012

I think I found my tail

As Mum and Dad have both described our various excursions of our first two days in Istanbul, I will not drag it on and do the same, I want to talk about something that I have been thinking a lot about in the last few days.


My family, being them, have gave me a corny nickname a while ago, Eeyore, like the donkey from Winnie the pooh, because I'm known around my family for my pessimism and complaining. In the last few days when I come across a complain worthy situation, some very complain worthy, I have thought to myself, but why? Why complain, it doesn't help the situation and it certainly doesn't brighten the mood.


Here are some various situations where I've had to 'get up and find my tail' , 14 hour flight, tired frustrated, then have to sit in the airport for another three hours, disturbed sleep on the next plane, woozy jet lag for the next two days, the joy of squat toilets (not) , the enormous uphill walk that Dad insisted on for the view, but no view, a packed unpleasant tram in which I had people pressing up against me in every direction.


But wait, wait, don't take this the wrong way, I won't keep talking about the bad things, since I've now found my tail, Some of the highlights so far have been, the amazing feeling of being in an unfamiliar, and mysteriously beautiful place, the delicious bread, the smooth gooey Turkish delight, the intricate and incredible old buildings, the sun and the warmth, the smells and yells of street food and street sellers, sitting in the park and watching the people, watching the multitudes of stray cats slinking around the streets and snoozing in the parks, and so much more.


I think I like having my tail, maybe I should be more careful not to keep losing it.