Monday 9 January 2012

The Ocean

As sure as the sun rises in the morning and sets at night I’ll enjoy a swim in the ocean.

The power and vastness, the crashing waves and strong currents makes me feel insignificant and small, it brings me back to earth, shows me I’m not powerful, shows me I’m just a small, dark haired girl, being thrashed around by the waves. The feeling of breaking through the waters surface as you dive under a wave and the feeling bursting back up to the air and wind invigorates me like nothing else.

A few days ago the water at Horseshoe Bay was clear as a shimmering crystal sprawled out before us. As I dived under a wave I would open my eyes and watch the rays of light dance through the water and caress the sand. I would come back up, wait until the next wave came rolling towards me and then I’d duck under the water, open my eyes and watch the wave rolling through the water above me.

The ocean is like a mysterious jewel that is so common, yet so precious.

A jewel that I will treasure forever and ever.