Saturday 16 January 2010

walking beauty

SOP ALERT: do not read if not open to sop

As I read Maria's last post chronicling our adventures today I realised a piece of our yurting story that has been left unsaid. When we spend time on the beach, as has been our almost daily custom these past weeks, I get to see it from a few perspectives. There is the initial scan; what is the overall 'feel' of the place. This is naturally affected by weather conditions but also sea and sand scape, surrounding environment such as hinter and headlands.

Once we have found our spot, I spend plenty of time at the waters edge, keeping watch over the girls frolicking in the surf. I am not one for sitting or lying on the beach ... in fact I don't even take a towel to the beach. But from where ever I am, wandering on the sand, body surfing or out the back sitting waiting, I can usually see our 'home', marked by a maroon bag that goes with us whenever we are on the sand.

Beaches are beautiful places. For lots of reasons. There are some beaches in NSW that have had an added, subtle beauty this summer. As I scan the sand and sea, looking along the vast expanse of foreshore there is one sight that takes a beach from beautiful to spectacular, whatever the conditions.

Maria.

I realised early on this expedition that we have differing primal instincts when we arrive at a beach. I want to get into the water. Maria is inclined to walk its length. Slowly but purposefully. So a common and wonderful sight is Maria's walking shape. I can recognise her walk when she is not much more than a spec in the distance. It is a spectacular feeling for me, when  look up and there she is, either returning or leaving, her form adding splendour to the view.

When we are back in Brunswick, one of the the things I will miss  most is the view of the beach with Maria walking on it.