Monday 11 January 2010

farewells and the reverse test again

We said our farewells to our new friends, thankful for a social week with lots of laughs and stories. Below are some happy snaps, Gavin and Julie are standing infront of their amazing caravan (see previous post "seeing in the new year yurting style") and Scott and Jen on Sandy beach where we spent a fantastic last day north of Coffs.








This is where Johanna got some first class surf coaching from Scott and caught some great waves for her second day on a board .. .



Each new place brings a brand new perspective and routine. We knew the next season would be different when we loaded into Pat (the Patrol) at Coff airport with the newly arrived Rachel and her friend Jess and Rachel swithched on their NSW playlist on Rachel's Mac in the back seat and treated us to a couple of hours of teenage pop music.

After a 3 or 4 hours driving south into the heat we arrived at Tuncurry/Forster. This place is a veritable summer playground. There must be hundreds of ski and fishing boats in the waterways ... the caravan park is crowded ... its one of those places where you pack in and feel like you are living on top of everyone.

When we checked in we were greeeted with, "We have been waitng for you to arrive!" Not the usual greeting. More than a little curious I was then walked twoards our site. "It will be pretty tight to get your van into here, would you like me to go and get the tractor and do it for you?"

I summed up the situation and told him I'd give it a shot and yell out if I got stuck. Gulp. Fresh from poking fun at caravan reversing (see previous post "The reversing relationship test")I knew this would be personal triumph or disaster. Maria and I stood and assessed the situation, I explained my plan, climbed in a made the first pass. As I got out to make a progress assessment one of the 'at least 3 blokes' going about their business but really wathcing to see how much of a fool I was going to make of myself quips to me, "You realise this is a test of your manhood?" Gulp again. Self talk - "Stay calm." "Its not Marias fault if you get it wrong."

I make the second pass and we're looking OK, a really sharp turn into a tight spot is so far going extremely well. I climb out again to discuss the fine tuning tactics with Maria. One of the other blokes comments, "Best caravan backing I've ever seen." On the outside I stay calm, on the inside I am punching my fists into the air, "I'm the man!"

10 minutes later I'm still shuffling the thing around trying to get the wheels in just the right place, the gloss has gone, but I'm coming out OK. I later learn from more than one of our neighbours that they had called on the tractor - not this Aussie bloke.

... at least not until next time.