Friday 4 December 2009

mobile again

The simple act of walking was very pleasurable today. Tomorrow, unexpected things aside, I hope to lower myself gently and 'old-man' like into the surf.

We made a couple of trips to Byron Bay today... one this morning to go to the farmers market and the second to pick up Heidi and a couple of her friends to drop them at the supermarket. While there this afternoon we ventured on the sand for a stroll, my most adventurous escapade since invaliding myself. The beauty of the waves curling around that point is extreme. Alongside Noosa, the other north face beach (with swell bending around the point) in this part fo the world, I reckon the beaches are as close to perfect as you can get.

When we got back it was low tide in the river. (Our site is right on the bank). I laughed at the youthful exhuberance of a bunch of blokes who had waded into the middle and decided that the exposed sand was a good spot for some beach (river!) cricket.



We have been doing what we've had to, mostly in the late afternoons and evenings, but in these days while Maria and I are childless, work has taken a back seat. We are very grateful for the privilege of enjoying this time together. This afternoon a young European couple with a toddler pulled into the site beside ours in one of those campervans. There were times when 'that was us'. The holidays we could afford when we had four young kids were camping ones ... ah yes, I recall the routines and joys of being in a tent with four kids. We loved it. But I'm glad that was then and this is now.