Wednesday 26 September 2012

the geeky bit

Problem: 3 people travelling through four countries who each have different technology and connectivity needs. In particular, Maria’s need to take photos, do basic enhancements and then upload, Johanna’s preference to read eBooks and stay connected on Facebook, and my desire to blog and where possible carry a connected device in the backpack.


The solution might seem a bit complex, but so far its working OK except for two things (see below).

The mobile phones:



  • My iPhone with roaming activated. Allows me to see call history and apparently pick up my pages, except this seems to be flakey, working only when connected to a WiFi rather than when in roaming mode (first problem). Also allows me to take Instagrams, which is has been hampered in part by the second problem (see below).

  • I have a simple Nokia phone that has a Backchat global SIM in it that I have used for many years now. Is more expensive that buying local SIMs in every country, but is much cheaper than using the roaming Aussie phone to make calls. We have used this make local calls to hotels etc, and also to keep connected with Heidi and Zac in Melbourne and Rachel in Fiji.

  • Maria’s Aust. mobile with roaming activated which stays off an in Johanna’s backpack and gets turned on for use when she is separated from us.

iPad:

When Maria and I travelled for 4 weeks last year we took only the iPad and it worked well for the two of us. However, one of the limiting factors is the manipulation and uploading of photos. We used an Apple photo connector which works OK, but its still a bit clunky. This time we bought a:

HyperDrive:

Which is a portable harddrive developed especially for iPads that allows photographers to do their stuff with an iPad and camera without the need for a PC or Mac. We are using it to backup all Maria’s photos, so we always have 2 copies, one on the MacBookAir (see below) and the other on the hyper drive. Every night she uploads to the MBA and Hyperdrive and deletes photos from her camera.

MacBookAir:

We were originally going to take only the iPad, but knowing that there would be times when all 3 of us wanted to be online, I knew that 1 device would not be enough. So I bought a case to protect it, and pack my MBA into checked baggage. This means we have 2 devices to use, and long with my iPhone, it means each of us can be online at the same time if we choose.

Telstra (Sierra) 4G portable WiFi:

This is a great little device. The reviews I read earlier in the year had this as the best hardware globally of its kind. I began using it in PNG to cut internet costs while there, but I expected it to work a treat on this trip. The idea is to buy a local data SIM card, then it can stay in the backpack and when needed give us connectivity wherever we are.

It worked great in Turkey, although it wasn’t straight forward explaining what I needed as the devices clearly aren’t common globally yet. The one setting I need (called the APN, which is specific to each ISP) I needed to find myself from the internet because no-one I’ve asked so far in Turkey, Greece or Morocco has had any idea what I’m talking about.

In Greece, I decided not to get a SIM card there after it proved tricky the first attempt, because our accommodation had good WiFi and we knew we would be spending a fair amount of our time at the hotel.

I really wanted it to work in Morocco, but I’ve now given up (I think). I spent too many hours with lots of local assistance trying to find someone who knew what I needed and then getting the dang SIM to connect, but so far without success. In the end, its not the end of the world, because most of our accommodation houses are likely to have WiFi, but it would have been nice to have it wherever, whenever. (second thing)

As a backup, I also have a Backchat Global SIM in the iPad. Its not real cheap though, so am only using it when needed when we are out and about, and typically leave data roaming turned off.

Maria’s Nikon D90:

Her constant companion, although she has come to leaving the backpack camera case with her lenses behind, and just carrying a small case with one lens dur to the weight.

iPods:

Maria and Johanna are both carrying iPods, and I’ve got music on my phone.

Other important stuff:

With so many devices that need charging, I decided to bring a 4 plug power board. That way I only need one converter plug, plus the apple ones which means keeping things charged has been easy, although Maria and Johanna joke about my little electronics corner in our room(s).

The other thing to say is that the longer one is away, the less one feels the need to be connected. I think that is why I’m not so disappointed about the portable WiFi not working here in Morocco, although its early days, and if we find ourselves without hotel WiFi I think it will be frustrating.

Overall I’m really happy with the set of stuff we have bought with us. Light and compact (except for Maria’s camera), and so far is meeting all our technology needs.